Recap: Motomassa Performance Driver Training

Today was a friggin' awesome day this morning. I was pumped up to feel this ultimate thrill, especially when it comes to performance driving, the main core to understand the foundation of circuit racing and also emergency occasions.




The Motomassa Performance Driver Training was located in MAEPS, Serdang. Funny thing is, I thought MAEPS and MATRADE were related, however, it wasn't. And that's why I got lost in that morning, due to my false perceptions. But thankfully, I was the first to arrive at the event, which was 8:30 A.M. sharp.



The car which I drove in this particular training was my personal car, the 2003 Nissan Skyline 350GT Coupe (CPV35), which was also known as the Infiniti G35 Coupe in the land of 'Murica. It's got a 3.5 litre V6, producing 280 bhp to the crank and sends 270 lb-ft of torque to the wheels. Mounted as a front-mid layout, it creates a 50:50 weight distribution, thus making it to have a precise handling. The whole powertrain is still stock, except for the bodywork which was using the Impul 535CS body kit.


While waiting for other members to come for the event, I was just leave the hood open to get off the heat.



Strangely though, most of the participants drove the iconic lightweight British sports car, namely the Lotus Elise and the Lotus Exige. Wanna distinguish between them? Simple, the one with the huge wing and supercharged engine are notably as the Exige. While the Elise has a simple, yet, less aggressive looks for its outlooks. While waiting for the coordinators of the event, I got a shot by test driving one of the Exige, and of course, it was cool as I were expected, light and quick.



The moment when all the Lotus came in, I was like "What the hell? Am I the only one who drives a heavy sports car?"



Enough of that murmuring, lets get some Nasi Lemak for breakfast catered by the Lotus gang!






It was 9:30 A.M. The main guru, Mr. Hisham Jahudi, who was a legendary driver and also involved in Roda Pusing, gave a briefing about the performance driving training. Everything that I've learned from him , starting from A to Z, when it comes to handling and accelerating with precision, no matter on the track nor roads. Previously, I met him 2 weeks ago in Rasta TTDI for a car-talking meetup. 


After the briefing, the training was started. I was guided by another racing legend, Mr. Oh Kah Beng. He was not only into car racing, but he also involved in motorcross.


                                         

The first video that you see here is all about braking in a straight line. All I had to do is to launch the car effectively without making too much wheelspin and immediately brake hard in a short time while feeling the ABS system working.





The next one seemed to be challenging, the slalom test. All I had to do is trying to steer around the cone as near as possible without hitting them as well as maintaining the right acceleration.




The third one was all about circle. Yes, a perfect circle. This particular challenge was all about throttle control while handling the steering wheel without suffering from understeer nor oversteer. Also, I had to be close to the cone for a perfect turning radius.




Now this is the final step before the autocross time attack, the Figure 8 test. This one is nearly the same as the perfect circle, but difficult. The key to succeed this challenge was all about slow in, fast out. Hmm...kinda reminds me of every Gran Turismo Driving License Test.



After all the challenge I've made, I need to get some rest and memorize this autocross layout for 30 minutes. Finally, I waited for my queue for the autocross time attack by spectating every Lotus doing their best.








Their lap time was so short, approximately between 29 to 36 seconds. I was completely frozen as I might not to keep up with their lap time.


So yeah, the moment of truth, it was my turn to involve this loop of doom. You all try to guess what was my fastest lap time. :)








That's right folks, it was 40.92 seconds. Fastest was 38.69 seconds. Why? Because my car was the heaviest among them. Since most of the participants drive Lotus, obviously they could manage to handle the car effectively without too much wheelspin or oversteer.



After the time attack, it was time for final wrap. Everyone parked their car in groups for a great photo taking sessions!








Last of all, I got my first driver training certificate which clearly shows that I succeed all the challenge in this event! Yay!

To conclude this, this was the best experience I've had ever seen in my entire life. Before you come to the track to join any track days, I would like to recommend Motomassa Driver Training that promotes the foundation of performance driving so you won't get any mishaps on track and also on the road. It boosts my driving techniques and learnt something new that wasn't provided by every normal driving institutions.

This event is always happening once a year. You may go to Motomassa Communications or Roda Pusing on Facebook to find out more about it.



After taking out all the cones, it was time for me to do a freestyle just to burn my old tires and release my tension after time attack (LOL)!


I would like to give a huge appreciation to Mr. Hisham Jahudi and Mr. Oh Kah Beng for teaching me how to drive progressively and controlling the acceleration no matter how powerful or how heavy the car was. At least, I managed to control my car properly in high speed.

To find out more about the training, visit http://motomassa.com.my/index.php/driving-training-programme to learn more.

That's all folks!









Comments